Yes, being a grown-up is fun because we have disposable income and stability and what not (yawn), but come on, wasn’t university such a bloomin’ hoot?
Here’s 22 things we all miss about the student life.
- Making cocktails. And when I say cocktails I mean squash mixed with whatever leftovers were still gathering dust in the corner from the last house party. Vodka, gin, apple sourz and orange and mango squash cocktail anyone? Yum.
- And making said cocktails in whatever large objects you could find. Maybe a saucepan, maybe a bucket, maybe a measuring jug. Lolz.
- Being on first name terms and having jokes with the local shopkeeper. Oh you guys, letting me off 20p for my milk.
- Believing that a t-shirt, pair of see-through leggings, university hoodie and fake UGG boots was a chic outfit choice every single blinkin’ day.
- LOAN DAY. Oh hello, sweet four figure number in my available bank balance. Note the ‘available’, because the actual balance said -£2000. Cute.
- Spending said loan day like an absolute maniac. Lunch in Nando’s, an actual basket full of clothes in Primark and real Smirnoff vodka for pre-drinks. You bazillionaire, you.
- Having summer holidays that were four months long. Hey, you needed that break, those all-nighters in the library were painful and tiring.
- And a Christmas holiday that was a month long – so much time for mulled wine, Home Alone and lazing about at your parent’s warm home with all its heavenly free central heating.
- Communicating with friends mostly via Facebook Chat or BBM Messenger. Because you were down with the kids and rocked a Blackberry, obvs.
- Dedicating entire days to Facebook stalking whilst lying on your bed in your pyjamas (and a hoodie, scarf, socks and hat – because, y’know, cold).
- Food shopping being an exciting group activity done with the one friend who had a car. Rather than being a sad, lonely, expensive experience in your local Tesco Express on the way home from work in the rain.
- It being acceptable to stock up on 18p noodles and four for a £1 Batchelor’s Pasta ‘N’ Sauce sachets that you could just whip up in a pan. Bargain.
- And only ever eating out if it was a Wednesday in Pizza Express or you’d found a voucher code online for either La Tasca, Zizzi, ASK or Prezzo. AKA the only restaurants that offer discount. There’s only so many fancy pizzas you can eat. Sob.
- Having an 11am lecture called off at the last minute and all heading to the SU for £2 pints for brunch. Now that would be called alcoholism, then it was called sweet, sweet heaven.
- 0% overdrafts. Just, 0% overdrafts.
- The absolute joy upon opening the fridge when heading home for the weekend. So much meat, so much cheese, so much happiness. All the food, just all the food.
- Having a 3am bedtime and a 12pm wake-up time. Dreamy.
- NUS student cards. But mostly when New Look offered 20% discount. ‘Thank you, kind sir. I’ll take ALL of the shoes.’
- Wasting entire days waiting for your MegaVideo allowance to come back so you could watch Gossip Girl.
- Needing only a tenner for a night out. Thank goodness for £1 shots and £1.50 bottles of VK.
- Going out on a Monday night and feeling like a champion. Cheap drinks, no weird old men AND no Monday blues. Huzzah!
- Having an abundance of friends that lived within a five minute walk.
Oh further education, you sweet sweet darling, never stop making dreams happen <3
Hannah is a lifestyle writer for Metro.co.uk as well as a blogger for her own site aimed at twenty something women. She likes cats, McDonalds and writing lists.