You don’t have to go to expensive fitness classes in order to tone up your legs ready for bikini season: you can use simple bodyweight exercises which require no equipment or cost at all. Here are our five favourites, inspired by this NHS guide.
Lunges are great because they can be done anywhere, and they work wonders on toning up your legs and bum- as long as you do them correctly! Tips:
- Keep your back straight
- Bend your knees no farther than 90 degrees
- Try a more advanced version called stepping lunges, where you move forward after each lunge on alternating legs. Remember to use good form.
Perform 1 set of 15-24 reps with each leg
Often referred to as the king of all exercises, squats are a guaranteed way to firm your bum and thighs (as well as craftily strengthen your core). Tips:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart
- Stretch your hands out in front for extra balance
- Don’t let your knees extend over your toes
Perform 2 sets of 15 to 24 reps.
When it comes to toning your legs, your calves deserve the same amount of attention as your thighs for perfect pins this summer. Tips:
- Stand on the edge of a step, with straight but not locked legs
- Lift as high as you can go onto your toes and lower your heels down as much as you can
- Calves respond to higher reps
Perform 2 sets of 15 reps
Bridges are loved by yoga teachers and Pilates instructors the world over: they are not only the ideal exercise for a rounded rear, but they also keep your back healthy. Tips:
- Feet should be a shoulder width apart and flat on the floor
- The goal is to maintain a straight line from your shoulders to your knees and hold for 20 to 30 seconds.
- It’s better to hold the correct position for a shorter time than to go longer in the incorrect position.
- For a full explanation of the bridge exercise, click here
Perform 2 sets of 15 to 20 reps
A variation on the basic squat, ballet plies can help tighten and tone your quads, glutes, inside thighs and calves- perfect for creating a sculpted bikini body. Tips:
- Keep your toes turned out about 45 degrees
- Lift your heels off the floor and balance on the balls of your feet
- Make sure your knee don’t go past your toes
Hold the position for 60 seconds, never moving your rear below your knees. Repeat 20 times. Break for a moment and repeat.
What are your favourite exercises for toning the legs?
Don’t forget to check out our vitamins and supplements discount codes too!