What is Stress Awareness Month?
Stress, now considered a modern epidemic, has become more paramount than ever in recent years. To raise awareness for the causes and cures of the ‘health epidemic of the 21st century‘, Stress Awareness Month has taken place every April since 1992.
This year’s theme for Stress Awareness Month is Community, to mark the social isolation faced by many throughout the pandemic and lockdowns. According to Stress.org.uk, without a support network, it becomes easier for feelings of loneliness and isolation to impact mental health, inciting an increased risk of depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, sleep problems and higher stress levels.
Stress Awareness Month exists to:
- Increase public knowledge about modern stress and the effects it has on mental health
- Remind us to pay extra attention to our health & wellbeing
- Inform & educate people about the dangers of stress
- Support people in finding coping strategies and cures for stress
- Bust harmful myths & misconceptions about stress that consume our society
How can I get involved?
This April, we’ve partnered with Buyagift to raise extra 3% donations for Mental Health UK in support of Stress Awareness Month. Use our exclusive Buyagift discount code from April 4th – 6th for 22% off a wide range of stress-busting experience days and gifts.
Whether you want to treat a loved one to a special day or schedule some quality time with those close to you, regularly socialising with friends, family, or your community has clear connections to living a happier, healthier and longer life.
While our exclusive Buyagift discount code is running from April 4th – 6th, you can help raise free donations for Mental Health UK for the entire week. Redeem any of our Buyagift discount codes or deals from April 4th – 10th for extra 3% donations all week long. All donations raised for free through Savoo ultimately help those who need it the most, allowing the charity to reach more people affected by poor mental health, supplying vital advice, support and information.
Raise even more donations by shopping at Secret Sales from April 4th – 17th using our exclusive Secret Sales discount code, offering 10% off orders. During this time, we’ll send an extra 2% donation to Mental Health UK on your behalf, helping to support the charity and the work they do in combating the modern stress epidemic.
Make a difference this Stress Awareness Month by:
- Working to eliminate the stigma surrounding stress by talking about the topic more openly with those around you.
- Sharing ways that help you cope with stress and discussing things that have worked for you to help someone else.
- Interacting with others by having compassion and empathy in mind. You never know what someone is going through, and kindness goes a long way for someone experiencing stress.
- Caring for your mind and body by making time for self-care, exercise, eating well and doing things you enjoy.
About Mental Health UK
For around 50 years, Mental Health UK has existed to support people whose lives are affected by mental health problems both locally and nationally. Through a combination of support programmes and mental health services – Mental Health UK aims to create a future where everyone can live their best possible life.
Mental Health programmes, Bloom, Mental Health & Money Advice and Navigators helped over 60,000 people eduring the particularly challenging period of 2020-21, while services, such as the advice and information helplines, offered real-time support to over 10,000 people in 2020-21 through calls, emails and webchats.
The charity provides support for some of the biggest challenges posed to society, often resulting in some of the largest threats to mental health, including:
- Money problems
- Loneliness & isolation
- Attempting to find the right support from services available
- Helping people to understand mental health and detach stigmas associated with mental health problems
- Supporting young people navigate mental health problems and building resilience
Donations are vital for the important work achieved by Mental Health UK, helping the charity to reach more people affected by mental health problems.
Did you know … (Mental Health UK facts & figures)
- 1 in 4 people has been affected by a mental health problem, pre-pandemic.
- 2.6 million adults across Britain have reported feeling lonely “often” or “always”.
- Money issues are a common cause of stress, and 50% of people in debt experience poorer mental health as a result.
- 75% of mental illnesses start before a person’s 18th birthday, as stress caused by school, growing up and navigating society are all impactful on young people.
- It’s estimated that 8.58 million adults in England will, at some point, need mental health support for problems such as posttraumatic stress disorder, depression, and anxiety.
- Approximately 7.5 million UK people live with a diagnosed mental illness, inevitably resulting in periods of stress and a need to find effective means to manage poor mental health caused by stress.
If you need a day out or know someone close to you who could do with some cheering up, Buyagift experience days are an uplifting option for a burst of fun that can help to reduce stress.
Research shows that people who spend quality time with those around them tend to be healthier and happier, experiencing fewer mental health problems than those who often feel loneliness and isolation. While doing things you love and enjoy is another tool for stress-busting, which is where Buyagift comes in.
Whether you’re after an exhilarating experience, such as supercar driving or adventure days to let your hair down or a revitalising and relaxing experience, like a spa day, afternoon tea or a weekend break away, use our exclusive 22% off discount code from April 4th – 6th to help you save on your chosen experience day.
With a wide range of experience days starting from under £50 and online experiences from the small sum of £5, you don’t have to break the bank for an unforgettable experience with Buyagift.
Don’t forget that you can still save on Buyagift experience days and raise free donations for Mental Health UK after our exclusive code is up. Use any Buyagift discount codes or deals, and we’ll continue to send extra 3% donations to the charity until April 10th.
Do something nice for someone you love by treating them to something new from Secret Sales. With low prices on 100s on iconic fashion brands, find designer clothing, footwear, beauty and homeware all within your budget.
Where your loved one needs a pick-me-up, or you simply want to put a smile on their face, save even more on designer must-haves with our exclusive Secret Sales discount code. Use our exclusive 10% discount code from April 4th – 17th, and you’ll also be helping raise free donations for Mental Health UK. During this period, all orders using our exclusive Secret Sales discount code will amass an extra 2% donation to the charity, highlighting the important issues surrounding mental health that Stress Awareness Month marks.
- HCA Healthcare Today (2019), Stress, the “health epidemic of the 21st century”, HCA Healthcare Today [online], viewed 30 March 2022, https://hcahealthcaretoday.com/2019/04/30/stress-the-health-epidemic-of-the-21st-century/.
- Stress Management Society (2022), Stress Awareness Month 2022, Stress Management Society [online], viewed 30 March 2022, https://www.stress.org.uk/national-stress-awareness-month/.
- National Today (2022), Stress Awareness Month – April 2022, National Today [online], viewed 30 March 2022, https://nationaltoday.com/stress-awareness-month/.
- Mental Health UK, What we do, Mental Health UK [online], viewed 30 March 2022, https://mentalhealth-uk.org/about-us/what-we-do/.
- Mental Health UK, About us, Mental Health UK [online], viewed 31 March 2022, https://mentalhealth-uk.org/about-us/.